Live To Write!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freewrite Three

4 posters

Go down

Freewrite Three Empty Freewrite Three

Post  Admin Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:26 am

Ambidextrous: Able to use either hand with equal (or at least nearly) ability. Fun to say. I thought it amazing as a child. Worthy of a super power, akin to double-jointedness. I've tried, a couple times, to fashion myself this ability. Little luck. Instead I specialized. Writing with one hand, everything else with the other. Maybe one day still I'll learn.

Quintessence:
What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the
world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me,
what is this quintessence of dust?

-Hamlet, Act II Scene ii

The most pure and concentrated essence of embodiment of something. Or here, the component of the medieval philosophy which is the fifth element- ether, amongst the four better known air, earth, water, and fire. Another word that's fun to say. In either meaning of it. And best of all in this passage. My favorite Shakespeare quote. Doesn't it have a wonderful ring?

Horribad: A hybrid of horrible and bad. Use when something is too terrible to even give it the honor of being addressed with a real word. Best used on puns. "What washes up on tiny beaches? Microwaves. Get it?" Horribad. It's one of those fantastic words you can use as a response and wait, watching their face. Seeing the gears turn. Wha...? Oh. I get it. And then a grin. Coined words are always fun.

Admin
Admin

https://live2write.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Freewrite Three Empty Re: Freewrite Three

Post  KenInGA Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 am

I like the specialized "ambidextrous" you opt for instead of being all-around ambidextrous. Makes sense to me!

I agree, horribad is a great way to elicit some unusual reactions from people. Just throwing it into normal conversation tends to catch people off guard--which is always fun.

KenInGA

Back to top Go down

Post  LEit Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am

Horribad! Such a great word could not exist in the English language. I like how you describe their reaction to the word in conversation. Shakespeare did have a lot to do with rhythm and sound, so it makes sense that some of his words could be amazing sounding.

LEit

Back to top Go down

Post  cbehling Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am

First off-- Did you memorize that Hamlet quote?

I have personally always tied to be ambidextrous as well. Took me forever to learn how to spell that word. I still really like it.

I like you second word because it truly is fun to say out loud. I'm kind of afraid of saying it right now in class, but later I'll say it. And everyone in the dining hall will look at me strangely. But it looks like it just rolls off the tongue very sweetly.

I love mashed up fake words! I like to use "fantasmagorical"! I'll have to use horribad more often... I truly like that one.

cbehling

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:55 pm

cbehling wrote:First off-- Did you memorize that Hamlet quote?

I have personally always tied to be ambidextrous as well. Took me forever to learn how to spell that word. I still really like it.

I like you second word because it truly is fun to say out loud. I'm kind of afraid of saying it right now in class, but later I'll say it. And everyone in the dining hall will look at me strangely. But it looks like it just rolls off the tongue very sweetly.

I love mashed up fake words! I like to use "fantasmagorical"! I'll have to use horribad more often... I truly like that one.
Doubtful you'll see the response, but I do indeed have that quote memorized. In fact, I have (or at one point had, if it's not perfect anymore) that entire monologue memorized. It was a class assignment, but I also just really love Shakespeare.

Admin
Admin

https://live2write.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down