Live To Write!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freewrite 4

+2
MaryShelley
KenInGA
6 posters

Go down

Freewrite 4 Empty Freewrite 4

Post  KenInGA Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:18 am

My name is nothing special. It’s neither exotic nor overly common. In that respect, I guess, it’s a good name, too. It’s never been an issue for me. My name is Ken and has always been Ken, so why ever should it be different?
For that reason, nicknames have never stuck with me. I always introduce myself as “Ken,” and that’s what people seem to remember. Perhaps since most people only know one Ken as opposed to repeats like “Michael” or “Andrew” or “William,” it is easier for people to associate “Ken” with me. It can carry the full weight of my personality: my rather uncouth and very off-color (and off-kilter) sense of humor, my rough-edged way of joshing with people, my combined Sailor’s and Marine’s mastery of the less-socially-acceptable region of the dictionary. It doesn’t have to share intellectual space and association with multiple people.

Ken is my name. It’s easily seen on my birth certificate. It even comes from my first name! None of this Mary Rebecca “Becky” Berry or Charles Marion “Bo” Berry; just plain ole Kennedy Berry. Nice and simple.

Last edited by KenInGA on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

KenInGA

Back to top Go down

Freewrite 4 Empty Re: Freewrite 4

Post  MaryShelley Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Wait a second! Your name is Kennedy. That's not so usual or simple. Ken is a shortening of Kenneth usually, but not in your case. So you have left out an important fact that certainly has a backstory. Is Kennedy a family name? On whose side of the family? You spring this on your reader at the last possible moment. I found this very curious!

I adore your description of your quirky self. Your sense of humor is conveyed in your written voice so nicely. This writing possesses style.

MaryShelley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Seko Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:23 am

I thought it was funny that you didn't address your full first name, Kennedy, until the very end of your freewrite. I enjoyed that you put a lot of your personality into this freewrite. I agree that the name Ken suits you quite well.

Sarah Seko

Back to top Go down

Post  jxl33 Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 am

I like that you never address that your name is actually Kennedy until the end of the write. Talking about Ken leads the reader to believe that your name is something simple, not out of the ordinary when your name is really Kennedy which is a fairly uncommon name. Although you seem to enjoy simply "Ken", I do want to learn more about the name Kennedy.

jxl33

Back to top Go down

Post  cbehling Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 am

How DID you get the name Kennedy? And do you identify with it at all, or are you just Ken?

I have to say, i liked the part about yourself. Especially the part about the dictionary. I thought it was funny, and very true. I like the voice used throughout the entire piece. Great job!

cbehling

Back to top Go down

Post  MrX Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:32 am

KenInGA wrote: Perhaps since most people only know one Ken as opposed to repeats like “Michael” or “Andrew” or “William,” it is easier for people to associate “Ken” with me.

Excellent point! I think that you are the first person that I have met that goes by "Ken." I know people named "Kenny" or "Kenneth" but never a "Ken." Someone did raise a good point that your full name "Kennedy" is not very common at all. I'm surprised that you've never been nicknamed Kenny or even Berry/Bear after your last name. Maybe someone will call you Ken-Bear. I agree, Ken works fine.

MrX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down