A Dusky Childhood Memory

Go down

A Dusky Childhood Memory

Post  Patrick Varin on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 am

It was always a dusky room. Blanketed by layers of dust. A pasty white ornamental trimming framed each wall and wrapped itself around the ceiling. Wooden shelves, dark brown and faded from what must have been a once deep rich mahogany hue, lined the largest wall. These shelves were the first thing a visitor noticed when they entered the room. Dark and looming they held memories of the room’s last inhabitant. Trinkets that had once held sentimental value to their beholder, now left lining the shelves as ornaments of a forgotten past. A few picture frames held faint shadows of photographs, bleached by years in the sunlight until the figures became indistinguishable. Now the frames looked empty from a distance.

The room no longer looked like a bedroom, although it was one at one point. It may have never held the welcoming atmosphere of a bedroom, but I did, at some point serve as a bedroom. It wasn’t inviting. Every intruder aroused clouds of dust that gave the room the scent of decay. Coughing up from between the warping floorboards and covering a desk in the farthest corner from the door. The thick clouds of dust lent the air a stale taste.

It was too dry for mold, otherwise the floor and the trimming would surely have rotted away. The dryness of the air had done an especially good job of keeping the paint and the wallpaper attached to the walls. Paint would flake here and there, but there was no humidity to peel the wallpaper from the wall.

Patrick Varin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Dusky Childhood Memory

Post  MaryShelley on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Is the ornamental trimming you refer to in the first paragraph molding? I wasn't sure...
I like the image of photographs so warn that the frames look empty. Your level of detail is strong and unrelenting re. dryness and dust. I wonder if this room frightened you at all? Wondered about the emotions underlying your experience of the place.

MaryShelley

View user profile

Back to top Go down