Live To Write!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a Name?

4 posters

Go down

What is a Name? Empty What is a Name?

Post  jxl33 Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am

Jefferson Lee
10/26/2010
Thomas Jefferson was the third president of the United States and the president who wrote the Declaration of Independence. I believe I was named after him but it is quite possible that my parents just really liked the name Jefferson without knowing its significance. My mom also made me play the violin which is also the same instrument which Thomas Jefferson played. I do not like the fact that Thomas Jefferson was a slave owner although he was talented in various areas. My mom probably wanted me to have as many skills as Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson Davis was the leader of the Confederates. I remember that sometimes we my teacher thought I was being mischievous he would say “Be Thomas Jefferson not Jefferson Davis.”
There was also a DC comic superhero called Black Lightning but whose real name was Jefferson Pierce. I thought it was pretty cool sharing a name with a superhero especially since Jefferson is not all that common of a name. Also Jefferson Pierce is one of the rare African American superhero. When a fictional character shares my name, I tend to try to enjoy the moment and embrace the character.
The nickname that people always give me without realizing is simply “Jeff.” I do not have a problem with it but it does lead to confusion when there are other Jeffs or Jeffreys. People naturally just shorten my name and call me Jeff even if they don’t know me that well because I suppose Jefferson is just too long of a name. The track team and Coach always called me Jeff and when they cheered for me, it was an endless chant of “JEFF! JEFF! JEFF! JEFF!” It was a great feeling when they cheered.
A close friend of mine called me “Jeffy-boo.” It was cute and made me feel warm because it showed that we were very close. Of course, I did not allow anyone else to call me that and she was the only one with the special privilege of calling me that. We stayed really close even till now but sometimes she would embarrass me by calling me that in front of all my friends. My friends would always throw jokes about how I and she are lovey-dovey and begin to mimic her voice. It was pretty funny though and I knew they were not serious about it.
A few people also really liked my Chinese name and called me by that often. My friend Emily would use my full name because my Chinese name was also my middle name. She would always say “JEFFERSON FAN SUN LEE” when she was trying to get my attention.

jxl33

Back to top Go down

What is a Name? Empty Re: What is a Name?

Post  MaryShelley Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Wow! There is so much in a name, I guess. This is a great response to the prompt, but you have a very cool name so it's no surprise. Jefferson goes w Lee so nicely. I like the idea of your parents naming you after such an influential American. It says a lot about their aspirations for you. And I'm delighted to learn about Jefferson Pierce, Black Lightning, who I will have to investigate for my boys. This is a rich reflection on the subject.

MaryShelley

Back to top Go down

Post  KenInGA Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:21 am

While Jefferson is not a common name, it is certainly one heavy with the weight of history. I enjoy how you look at all sides of the history behind it--not just one or the other.

Just a bit of nit-picking: It should be "she and I are..." not "I and she are..."

Nice job, I enjoyed reading this

KenInGA

Back to top Go down

Post  LEit Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:33 am

I enjoy how much you reveal about your name. It's fantastic that you can have such a common nickname, but an extraordinary name behind it. I like the little tangent about jeffy-boo too. It's silly, but captures your character well. Good job!

LEit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum