Favorite Words-Freewrite the Third

Go down

Favorite Words-Freewrite the Third

Post  elephantastic on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:34 am

Papillion-(n) french for butterfly
When I was six years old, my favorite book was “The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles.” There was a nutty professor, a magical world, and a mysterious color changing Whangdoodle. I distinctly remember reading that “Papillion” was the professors favorite word and being the pretentious small child that I was, of course I took it for my own, just hoping someone would ask me so that I could show off my incredibly taste in diction. “Papillion” I would say. “It means butterfly in French.” I remember the slightly confused looks adults would give me as I explained. Apparently I was pronouncing it wrong.
Popcorn- (n) kernels of corn cooked in some manner that pop.
It feels like a command and a noun all in one. Popcorn! Also, it’s onomatopoeia, and it’s deliciousness. The word seems to encompass the sound as well as the feeling of eating popcorn.
Uglily- (adv) the adverb form of “ugly”.
This word makes me giggle, and only partly because I had a close friend named Lily who we would call “ug-lily”.

elephantastic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite Words-Freewrite the Third

Post  jxl33 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am

I always thought the word Papillion was really magically because of the way it sounded. For some reason everytime papillion is mentioned, I think of a world similar to that of Wizard of Oz.
For uglily, I went through a similar experience in high school. My last name was Lee so one of my friends decided to always call my Ug.

jxl33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patrick Varin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 am

I've heard the word uglily used before, but I've never seen it spelled out before, the word itself looks interesting.

Patrick Varin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down